The East Harlem blaze that killed a 5-year-old girl and her father’s girlfriend – as well as three dogs – was sparked by lithium-ion batteries on an e-scooter or e-bike, fire officials said.
The little girl, her 46-year-old dad and his 36-year-old girlfriend became trapped inside a sixth-floor apartment of the eight-story building within NYCHA’s Jackie Robinson Houses during the fire that broke out just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, authorities said.
The girl and her father were rushed to Harlem Hospital, where the child succumbed to her injuries and the man remains in critical condition Thursday morning, police said.
Threedogs also died in the blaze, authorities said.
The deadly fire stemmed from the batteries used for e-scooters and e-bikes, the FDNY tweeted hours after the blaze.
Photos show at least three of the motorized devices at and near the scene, one of which appears heavily charred.
Another civilian suffered a minor injury in the fire and was taken to Mount Sinai Medical Center, the FDNY said.
A firefighter went to Mount Sinai Morningside, also with minor injuries, according to the FDNY.
Police have not identified those killed in the fire pending family notification.